Monday 19 October 2009

Dead or alive your comin with me..




Today saw me back on the drains in search of something HEEEEAAAAAVY. Ive noticed lately that a few fish are coming out to the right tactics but in a lifetime of fishing the drain's I've still not had a pike bigger than 16 buff! I know the right tactics and I know the right place's but I'm yet to be both at the right time.I suppose I'ts this that keep's me coming back for more. Anyway today was about the big one so I drew up my strategy and plan of attack. As live baits are outfishing dead's at the moment I first had to catch a few. A deadly technique that I use which has been outfishing pole and feeder fishing is the jigs I use for perch... I shouldnt really be telling everyone as the fish arent too wise yet and it took 6 casts to produce 6 fish..not bad seeing as people fishing on maggot on a 22 hook couldnt muster a bite all day. I could have rooted out more fish but I'm not one to plunder the stocks and thought this was ample. Having caught these I decided to take the long walk approach to an area where people normally dont fish. It seems to be paying off...
2 dead baits where cast out and a live perch.. The piking pirate himself Gord Burton swears that BIG baits catch BIG fish so at the risk of missing out on rooting jacks I set my target high. A whole mackerel and a whole herring where whacked out to the middle and far bank along with the live perch! It was a matter of 15 mins til the live was under and I struck into a small fish which came off instantly. The perch remained unscathed so was recast and this time only took 5 mins for a take...The result was a 3-4 lb fish which had saved me from being jonny blanko... The next livebait was repositioned and resulted in another few takes but only one fish of about 5lb.. Rather than take the static approach I leapfrogged the rods along approx100 yards over 4 or 5 hours which was a good move as takes only came as I moved. They may have happened had I had stayed but you never can tell... Throughout the day the deads where cast to every part of the drain but remained motionless. As dark approached I had one live left having produced 2 fish out of the 6 I started with. This final bait was cast to the middle cut and within ten mins was under(if a little slow). I assumed another jack but leaned into a decent fish and managed to land it no drama's. She looked worthy of the scales so did the honours and it pushed 11lb's 6 oz.. Not a bad days fishing but goes to show that a varied approach is crucial to success or failure!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment